Established in 1883 in Paris, the Alliance Française was the first organisation to teach French around the world. Today it is the largest collection of French teaching associations with over 1,000 schools in 138 countries.
Its aim is to promote and widen access to French language and culture and to encourage a friendly dialogue between cultures through education and cultural exchanges. In the UK, courses, social and cultural events are offered through a well established network of 10 sister Alliances and about 50 French clubs. Our York branch was established in 1994, and is a registered charity, number 1042966.
The AFDY is in the process of becoming a Charitable Incorporated Organisation.
You can access our new statutes here
- a great bunch of 6 enthusiastic volunteers with unflappable energy, our committee looks after finances, cultural affairs and the general running of AFDY.
- Christine, Véronique K, Veronique W, Stéphanie, Alicia and Sandrine make up the teaching team this year. All are native speakers and experienced teaching practitioners.
: Gaelle is our very friendly and efficient support in the office.
We are also very grateful to our team of volunteers who help the AFDY at various levels. If you are interested to know more about this interesting way to get involved, please contact us...we will be happy to discuss this further with you.
• Alliance Française de Bath
• Alliance Française de Bristol
• Alliance Française de Cambridge
• Alliance Française de Exeter
• Alliance Française de Glasgow
• Alliance Française de Jersey
• Alliance Française de Manchester
• Alliance Française de Milton Keynes
• Alliance Française de Oxford
• Institut Francais de Edimbourg
• Institut Francais de Londres